28 March 2009

Kepone by Kepone


I remember when this album came out, a friend of mine said: noise rock is dead, Kepone made a better album than Jesus Lizard (Down).
I thought it was a little overblown a statement then, and still think the same now. I'm not saying that Kepone is not a great album but it is still not in the same league. It is as good as, for example, Shot by Jesus Lizard, and that was the last album Jesus Lizard has released that I had bought, times changed and yes, it was the end of an era for me.
"Kepone" suffers a little in production department, since they sounded so much better live. I saw them play while they were touring promoting this album and the album never came close to the sheer power of their live show. It was produced by Bob Weston, and it sounds a bit muddier than what I prefer. Still, no producer can kill the quality of these songs. It is noise gospel what was introduced on this album. The song Leave Your Bones is a perfect example, and it is very similar to the acoustic Now I Truly Understand from the first Mule album.
In fact, there is so much more that these two bands have in common: they created a modern sound using their roots by updating blues/gospel with energy, and putting their hearts into powerful execution of the songs. This to me is the new take on the roots of american music. They made their past sound so fresh and exciting and gave new meaning to traditional influence in modern rock. And yes, the song sound spiritual I kid you not.
As for the rest of the tracks, they never stop to rock. As I said earlier, production stands in the way of getting it right, but listening to it really loud does help a bit.


Buy: http://www.amazon.com/Kepone/dp/B0000037OG
Try: http://www.sendspace.com/file/1z434q

No comments: